Monday 23 November 2015

The Stupid ones. A poem by Martins Kayode Okeho

“The stupid ones”
Yes! They are
What they are not
They think they are sensible
They acknowledge they are clever
They admit they are the best
They think they are standard
But they are not
What they admit they are
The stupid beings

They falsify their origin
All in the name of fashion
They deny their linkage
All in the name of popularity
They twist their tongue
For them to speak like them
They bleached their natural skin
For them to look like them
They think they are sensible
But they are stupid to the core
They changed their name
For them to be noticed

When you come across them
In their angelic dresses
With their painted lips
And their tinted faces
They will tell you they are from cities
Whereas they are not
They claim to originated from Abuja
When none of their families ever built a shop there
They claim to come from rich family
When their parents never own a pair of shoes
They claim to be brilliant
When ordinary alphabet they can’t recite
They admit to be the best in foreign languages
When their own is nothing to them
They live a fake life
They admit to be what they are not
They dressed to be what they haven’t be

You have them beside you
 They live around you
 They are your friends
 They are your co-workers
They are your hall mates
They are your course mates
You know them more than I do
Beseech them to withdraw from fake life
Tell them they are not what they admit they are
If they ignore
Let them know
That they are the stupid beings ever

I’m delighted to be whatsoever I am
I’m proud of my origin
I’m proud of my language
I’m proud of my family
I’m proud of my parent
I’m proud to be a village boy
The best may not be in me yet
But I know I’m destined to be the best.
 
Never be like the stupid ones
Awojobi Martins Kayode
OKEHO.

No comments:

Post a Comment